Wednesday 29 June 2011

Creationism, ID, and The Theory of Evolution

So, what bothers me most about Creationism, Intelligent Design, and what it's called now, Teaching the Controversy is that people who teach it as a science use unscientific means of proving so called facts. I have never faulted anyone for having faith. I am a fairly spiritual person, (Spiritual, not religious) and I can make pretty dramatic leaps of faith when it comes to understanding the world around me. For example, I believe that the Holy Catholic Bible has many stories in it which have very real, and very relevant guidelines on living a good life and being a good human being, it also attempts to answer questions on the origin on life. (It has also been proven, that this very Bible, was edited, many many times, as many Holy Scriptures were left out because of conflicting viewpoints or stories those priests way back when decided, didn't fit with their image of God.) Thousands of years ago, where there was no modern science to help understand the world around us, people used stories, metaphors, and supernatural beings to explain why the world worked the way it did. We didn't know then what we know now, and I'm not saying that all that knowledge of the past is moot, but I do find it rather primitive minded to deny things we can prove, and do prove, on a daily basis. It seems to me that those who wish to believe that Creationism, or Intelligent Design is in fact the truth, would simply have to shift their way of thinking, just a little bit. Maybe God created evolution, church goers are always told that God is everywhere and that God made all things, so maybe, just maybe, God did make everything, he just didn't make it all at once. Maybe he set into motion, the building blocks of life that would eventually produce, us, Humans in his own image. Maybe.

The second problem I have with Intelligent Design is that people actually believe this conflicting 'science' should be taught in schools right next to regular science, and we can let the children decide what they believe. Unfortunately, the majority of students are idiots, I was an idiot in high school, I thought I knew everything and nobody could tell me better, it's part of the maturing process as we let go of our ego-centric behavior and realize that we are not the most important thing in the universe. To me that's like saying, "Okay in this version of math, 1+1=2, but we are going to teach an alternative math where we can show you that 1+1=3, and we will let you, the students, decided which you prefer." Banks would never go for this, as I would bring in all my loonies two by two, and make a mega profit by simple addition.

The third problem I have with Intelligent Design is that it requires you to take things based on the word of another person, not research they have done, or not done, in many cases, and we are to take it as fact. While the church behind intelligent design, recognizes that they have erred many times, for example the fact that the world was flat and that everything revolved around the earth was recognized as incorrect, albeit many many years after this theory was able to be proved.

Religion, in my opinion, originated as a way to control people, but I recognize that my opinion cannot be proven. Religion has been proven, to enrich peoples lives by adding a spiritual element. But why should that interfere with our quest for knowledge. I don't see a conflict with science and say, the 10 commandments. Because those commandments regulate how decent a human being we are, but it does not regulate learning, nor does it conflict with evolution.

And there is my thoughts for the day...

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At 29 June 2011 at 15:33 , Blogger Feralhousewife said...

I have no issue with Intellegent Design being taught in school, none at all. Just not is science class. It has a place and that is in a class called "modern religion" or "world religion" which we actually had in my high school. I think teaching kids different belief systems so they can choose one for themselves is great.

Scientific method however should always reign supreme in science class

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home